Two humble offerings from me for now. I’ll be back in a while with an albums list. Too much to listen to.
-Thom McMahon IV
MP3 JAMBOREE: Best Free Downloads
12. Ghost – Caledonia
This will make you want to grab a spear and run through a jungle in search of something to kill. Although by the end of the song, you may want to kill yourself.
11. The Curtains – Go Lucky
An understated — sneaky, even — pop gem.
10. Richard Swift – Paisley Park
Reminiscent of another great “park” song: the Zombies’ “Beechwood Park.”
9. Black Moth Super Rainbow – Sun Lips
The band name seems nonsensical, but this song does feel something like flying through a gauzy rainbow. Psychedelic, in other words.
8. White Williams – New Violence
A white man playing guitar and drums simultaneously in a room full of malfunctioning keyboards.
7. Vampire Weekend – Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
New Yorkers playing guitar pop at a street festival in Congo. Their debut album, which comes out in January, should be hot.
6. Marnie Stern – Put All Your Eggs In One Basket, And Then Watch That Basket!!!
Spiraling out of control has never sounded so cute.
5. Yeasayer – 2080
Some sort of futuristic dub ensemble playing an Irish jig.
4. Marissa Nadler – Diamond Heart
Haunting folk from a young woman who sounds like the daughter of Leonard Cohen and Joanna Newsom.
3. Bodies of Water – These Are The Eyes
This was apparently made by young people who were cut from their high school choir, so they started their own choir in the guise of a rock band. Triumphant!
2. Sally Shapiro – I’ll Be By Your Side
You know that hotel made out of ice in northern Sweden? If there’s a dance club there, this is what they play non-stop. Icy perfection.
1. Jens Lekman – Friday Night At The Drive-In Bingo
Will make you laugh, dance, and become nostalgic for rural Sweden.
BONUS LIST: Least-Appetizing Ads Seen In KFC Windows
5. “Triple Dip Strips!” – I’ve heard of double dipping, but triple dipping? How many times do you have to smother these things in sauce before you can get them down? Three times.
4. “Fish Snacker!” – Since when is fish a snack? And since when is it appropriate for Kentucky Fried Chicken to serve fish?
3. “Kids’ Laptop Meal!” – Nothing says nutrition like a portable computer. I guess they e-mail your kids their drumsticks and coleslaw.
2. “Free Mega Mash!” – This is apparently what Mega Man eats when he has a hankering for some greasy, whipped potato product. And when he’s broke.
1. “Boneless Variety Bucket!” – So there’s no bones, but what is there? I just picture a bucket of bones.